Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Trusting God through a Military Move

As many of you know, a PCS (permanent change of station) is right around the corner for the Flack family! We received news last month that Nathan will begin a new position at Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs sometime in January. We couldn't be more excited about this move! And we are busy wading through the many decisions and details associated with a military move.

Nathan graduates from his training program in 20 days. "Out-processing" from Keesler typically takes another 30 days post-graduation which gives us an estimated moving date of January 3rd. Once we receive our official orders, we'll know exactly when we must leave Keesler and arrive at Peterson. Orders are technically supposed to come 60 days prior to your move; however, they rarely do. Our hands are tied until we receive these orders. We can do nothing without them. So we wait...and trust God that they will come in His perfect timing.

We have a couple options when it comes to moving our belongings from here to there. The first is to have the Air Force come, pack up everything, load it in a truck, drive it to Peterson, and deliver it to our new home. This sounds like a wonderful option to most people, however, there are some disadvantages. Many of our military friends have had their belongings broken or damaged when using this option. We've also witnessed many people waiting weeks or even months to receive their belongings after arriving at the new base! This does not sound fun to us. Our other option is to do all the packing, loading, moving ourselves and be reimbursed for the expenses. We've done this once before and would likely do it again except that we're going much further this time, we have more to move, and I'll be four to five months pregnant and won't be able to help Nathan nearly as much with heavy lifting, etc. We're still weighing our options and trusting God to help us make the best decision.

Once we arrive at Peterson we are hoping to move into a home on-base. However, we cannot request a home until we receive our orders. Once we do request a home, there is always the possibility of us being placed on a lengthy waiting list. If this happens we will likely look for a home off-base, although it's not what we'd prefer. So...we trust God that he will provide the perfect home for us - on or off base.

Finally, I haven't mentioned that we will likely get to do all of this over the holidays! This only adds to the trickiness of the situation as we would love to spend time with family somewhere in there. So, as you might presume, we're trusting God that we will move in His perfect timing.

We will try our best to keep you updated as we learn more about our move!

Note: I must admit that my husband is a much better "truster" than I am. When I say "we're trusting," I mean that Nathan is trusting, and I am learning to trust. : ) I am thankful for his leadership in that.


"Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul."
Psalm 143:8

5 comments:

  1. We will be praying for your move! It felt like we had practically everything possible go wrong when we moved from Keesler, but God answered so many prayers during that time and it all worked out. : ) I remember wading through all those decisions and just praying that we were making the correct choices. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. I'm sure you have people there to answer questions, but feel free to email us if there's anything we can answer. PCSing from Keesler is especially difficult because you're given such a short amount of time and most PCS related things require orders, but there are a few things you can do to help speed the system along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Callie! You just might be hearing from me with a few questions sometime. : )

      Delete
  2. Can totally relate with you! During our first assignment we actually moved from OH to ABQ right after the holidays! Will be thinking of you! This was actually our first assignment where we moved right into our house off-base...with no layover in a temp apartment or TLF. We definitely loved living on base, but one downside we found was that people weren't readily willing to come visit us at our house (our local friends) because of pass requirements needed to get on base. Oh well, there are pros and cons to both, I suppose! Hope you enjoy this great time of transition! And CO...jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete